Courtney Mayer taught science courses for 23 years, including AP Environmental Science for 15 years at Churchill High School in San Antonio, Texas. She is a College Board Consultant for AP Environmental Science in the Southwestern Region. She has presented all over the United States and in China. Courtney is also a College Board consultant for Analytical Reading and Writing Strategies in Science, and is on the writing committee for the Pre-AP Biology Curriculum and a consultant for the College Board’s National Faculty. Courtney was a reader and table leader at the AP Environmental Science reading where she scored free-response questions for thousands of students. She was honored in 2011 with the College Board’s AP Award for helping to promote and continue the mission set by the College Board.
She recently retired as the Director of Advanced Academics in Northside ISD where she worked with teachers in her district through professional learning and curriculum development in gifted strategies and advanced academics. Courtney has published 10 books, all around science topics, particularly AP Environmental Science.
Courtney graduated with a degree in Wildlife and Fishery Science from Texas A&M University in 1992 and she received her Master of Education in Administration from Lamar University.
The goal of the AP Environmental Science course is to provide you with the scientific principles, concepts, and methodologies required to understand the interrelationships of the natural world, to identify and analyze environmental problems both natural and human-made, to evaluate the relative risks associated with these problems, and to examine alternative solutions for resolving and/or preventing them.
What You Will Learn
- Develop an understanding of the Curriculum and Exam Description (CED) and how to integrate science practices and concepts
- Review best practices and time management tips
- Collaborate with fellow teachers
- Prepare unit plans that incorporate lab activities
- Develop a syllabus that will align your class to the CED and draft a course calendar that will help you implement your syllabus
How You Will Benefit
- Gain insight into how to properly utilize AP Free Response Questions and Rubrics
- Acquire new materials to teach every major aspect of the course
- Use a variety of lab content/activities for every major area of the course
- Gain contacts that can also provide you support to teach the course in the most effective way
The course agenda will adjust with feedback from participants to address the needs of the group.
This course will be assessed a $35 lab fee