Stephen Fuerderer has been teaching senior physics for over 34 years in the public education system and has recently moved into the role of Principal at an independent international high school in Vancouver, Canada. Over the course of his career Stephen has taught college-level introductory physics courses as part of the International Baccalaureate and Advanced Placement Programs. Stephen serves as an AP Physics Workshop Consultant and has provided training and support for teachers around the world including USA, Canada, China, and the Middle East. Stephen is an experienced AP Physics Exam Reader and has written test items for the Educational Testing Services ETS for inclusion on AP Exams and SAT exams. Stephen brings a wealth of information and experiences to our AP Summer Institute and participants are sure to come away with ideas and resources that will increase learning in their classrooms.
This course is designed for both new and experienced teachers who will be teaching the AP Physics 1 course. During this week, participants will be provided with information and experiences on how to teach both the classroom and laboratory components of the course. We will explore the many components of the AP Physics program including the curriculum framework, labs, and exam. A highlight of this institute will be using and learning how to create instructional materials to build and strengthen the students’ conceptual understanding of physics principles as suggested by the latest physics education research. Emphasis will be placed on the inquiry lab approach and methods of teaching a college level class. Participants will experience and receive access to a number of resources to help prepare and develop their own AP Physics course.
Participants should bring:
- Prior to the institute, participants should print or download their school calendar for next year.
- Remember to bring a laptop, calculator, lab notebook, and your enthusiasm to the APSI
- Download a copy of the Course & Exam Description from the course home page at AP Central.
- Complete the course audit if you have never done so and ask your school’s AP Coordinator to authorize or update your AP course audit so you can gain access to AP Classroom resources.
- Course Overview & Planning
- Kinematics & Dynamics instructional strategies & inquiry labs
- Equity & Access, Diversity & Inclusivity
- AP Exam & Scoring
- Energy & Momentum Conservation instructional strategies & inquiry labs
- AP Classroom & AP Central Resources
- Circular Motion & Gravitation instructional strategies & inquiry labs
- Rotational Unit and Fluids Unit instructional strategies & inquiry labs
Note: This course will be assessed a $35 lab fee. All science courses are conducted in labs equipped with state regulated safety equipment.